Saturday, April 4, 2015

The Winner's Curse and The Winner's Crime by Marie Rutkoski: Dual Review

 SERIES RATING: 5/5 stars!
 
Author: Marie Rutkoski
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
The Winner's Curse and The Winner's Crime on  Goodreads!
 
SUMMARY of The Winner's Curse (from Goodreads):
 
Winning what you want may cost you everything you love.

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions. One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction.

Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin. But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.
 
REVIEW:
 
When I read THE WINNER'S CURSE a year ago, I wasn't quite sure if I liked it or not. The writing was absolutely gorgeous, but there was something about the book in my mind that was not sitting well for some reason. I thought about it for months afterwards, and it was finally about six months later that I finally came to the conclusion that the book was absolutely AMAZING! There are very few books that I think about for months after I read it, and THE WINNER'S CURSE happened to be one of them.
 
But when THE WINNER"S CRIME came out a month ago, I was very hesitant to buy it. What if I don't like this one? What if I get the same uneasiness that I felt after reading the first one? And what if the uneasiness doesn't go away???
 
So I got the book from the library first, just to be safe, but I shouldn't have worried. It was even better than the first one. The writing style was still absolutely gorgeous, and the way the characters developed was fantastic! I love Kestrel and Arin so much. And I'm normally not a fan of politics in books, but I loved the court politics and the cat-and-mouse game Kestrel played with the Emperor. All I can say now if bring on book three!!
 
Overall, if you have not picked this series up, I highly suggest you do!
 
CONTENT: Kissing, some talk of sex, and sexual tension between characters, but there's no sex actually on the page. Moderate swearing, and a lot of gory violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment