Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Goblin's Puzzle: Being the Adventures of a Boy with No Name and Two Girls Called Alice by Andrew S. Chilton: Early Review


RATING: 5/5 stars!
Author: Andrew S. Chilton
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Source: Publisher sent in exchange for honest review
Release date: January 19th, 2016
Find it on Goodreads here!

SUMMARY (from Goodreads):

Brimming with dragons, goblins, and logic puzzles, this middle-grade fantasy adventure is perfect for readers who enjoyed The Princess Bride or Rump.

THE BOY is a nameless slave on a mission to uncover his true destiny.
THE GOBLIN holds all the answers, but he’s too tricky to be trusted.
PLAIN ALICE is a bookish peasant girl carried off by a confused dragon.
And PRINCESS ALICE is the lucky girl who wasn’t kidnapped.

All four are tangled up in a sinister plot to take over the kingdom, and together they must face kind monsters, a cruel magician, and dozens of deathly boring palace bureaucrats. They’re a ragtag bunch, but with strength, courage, and plenty of deductive reasoning, they just might outwit the villains and crack the goblin’s puzzle.
 

REVIEW:

THE GOBLIN'S PUZZLE caught me totally by surprise. It is an absolute gem. 

I know that if I was a 10-12 year old I would have absolutely loved this book. Heck, I am a 19 year old and I absolutely loved this book. It brought me back to my grade school days, where I was reading Harry Potter and The Magic Treehouse. 

I always loved books with subtle humor in it, and THE GOBLIN’S PUZZLE was no exception. Some parts were SO FUNNY. The beginning when we are introduced to the boy with no name was so amusing, and when the dragon stole the wrong girl named Alice I about lost it. It was hilarious. 


The story was extremely clever. Not many middle grade books have a decent story line; the story was complex enough that it kept me interested, but yet simple enough that a 10 or 12 year old would understand some of the cleverness. It made the book something both parents and children will both enjoy. 

With subtle humor and an incredible clever story line, THE GOBLIN'S PUZZLE is not one to miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment