Saturday, September 20, 2014

Asylum (Asylum #1) by Madeleine Roux: Review


RATING: 5/5 I don't even know what just happened stars!
 
Author: Madeline Roux
Publisher: Harper Teen
Source: Library
Release date: August 20, 2013
Find it on Goodreads here!
 
SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
 
Asylum is a thrilling and creepy photo-novel perfect for fans of the New York Times bestseller Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

For sixteen-year-old Dan Crawford, New Hampshire College Prep is more than a summer program—it's a lifeline. An outcast at his high school, Dan is excited to finally make some friends in his last summer before college. But when he arrives at the program, Dan learns that his dorm for the summer used to be a sanatorium, more commonly known as an asylum. And not just any asylum—a last resort for the criminally insane.

As Dan and his new friends, Abby and Jordan, explore the hidden recesses of their creepy summer home, they soon discover it's no coincidence that the three of them ended up here. Because the asylum holds the key to a terrifying past. And there are some secrets that refuse to stay buried.

Featuring found photos of unsettling history and real abandoned asylums and filled with chilling mystery and page-turning suspense, Madeleine Roux's teen debut, Asylum, is a horror story that treads the line between genius and insanity.
 
REVIEW:
 
This book was absolutely insane. So insane, that I read it in one 4-hour sitting.
 
I can't even form a proper, coherent thought about what exactly I liked about this book. I did not see anything coming, and the ENDING OMG THAT IS NOT EVEN FUNNY IT IS SO CREEPY! I can't even handle it.
 

If you do decide to read it, DO NOT read it at night. I made that mistake, and it's safe to say that I will be reading the sequel in the daytime.
 
Overall, ASYLUM is a fantastic, thrilling novel. I highly recommend it!

CONTENT: Kissing, I honestly don't remember a lot of swearing, but I may be wrong. As for violence, this book is plenty scary, and I would not suggest you read it if you have a weak stomach.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book for sometime now, especially with it being October and all. I think that it's perfect for this time of year. Reading it at night doesn't sound like a smart thing LOL, but I want to do it just to get a feel for the story. Great review! I look forward to reading this book and screaming very soon!

    ReplyDelete