Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Future of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler: Review


RATING: 4/5
Authors: Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Book exchange
Release date: November 21, 2011
Find it on Goodreads here!
 
SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
 
It's 1996, and Josh and Emma have been neighbors their whole lives. They've been best friends almost as long - at least, up until last November, when Josh did something that changed everything. Things have been weird between them ever since, but when Josh's family gets a free AOL CD in the mail, his mom makes him bring it over so that Emma can install it on her new computer. When they sign on, they're automatically logged onto their Facebook pages. But Facebook hasn't been invented yet. And they're looking at themselves fifteen years in the future.

By refreshing their pages, they learn that making different decisions now will affect the outcome of their lives later. And as they grapple with the ups and downs of what their futures hold, they're forced to confront what they're doing right - and wrong - in the present.
 
REVIEW:
 
I was born in the year 1996, the year that this book took place. I don't really remember anything from that year, because I was a baby, but this book made me feel like I was a whole lot younger than 18-years-old. I can hardly remember a day when everyone didn't have cell phones or easy access to a computer, so this book was kind of a culture shock.
 
Needless to say, this book was extremely unique. I've never read anything quite like it. I really liked the concept of them looking at Facebook in the future, and the interactions between the characters were great. But even though it was unique, there were still many flaws. The writing style for Emma's POV was very choppy, and it didn't have the same flow that Josh's POV did. And Emma, as much as I liked her, really got on my nerves after a while. She made the most stupid decisions, and I wanted to strangle her a few times. Josh wasn't always the brightest either, but he's a sophomore boy, so it's to be expected.
 
All in all, I really liked this book, but it wasn't the best book ever. If you want, I recommend giving it a try!
 
CONTENT: No sex, but there is kissing and lots of talk about sex, condoms, pregnancies, etc. Moderate swearing, and no violence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment