Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Frostborn (Thrones & Bones #1) by Lou Anders: Review


RATING: 5/5 stars!
 
Author: Lou Anders
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Source: Publisher in exchange for honest review
Release date: August 5th, 2014
Find it on Goodreads here!
 
SUMMARY (from Goodreads):
 
Meet Karn. He is destined to take over the family farm in Norrøngard. His only problem? He’d rather be playing the board game Thrones and Bones.

Enter Thianna. Half human, half frost giantess. She’s too tall to blend in with other humans but too short to be taken seriously as a giant.

When family intrigues force Karn and Thianna to flee into the wilderness, they have to keep their sense of humor and their wits about them. But survival can be challenging when you’re being chased by a 1,500-year-old dragon, Helltoppr the undead warrior and his undead minions, an evil uncle, wyverns, and an assortment of trolls and giants.
 
REVIEW:

*Thank you to Penguin Random House for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for honest review!*
 
At first, I was a little worried about reading FROSTBORN. I don't normally have a lot of luck when it comes to reading middle grade books, and I was worried that I would not be able to connect with this one. I usually have difficulties reading from the POV of preteens, but when I heard that there was Norse mythology involved, I couldn't not give it a try.
 
I should not have worried though. FROSTBORN was absolutely fabulous. Karn's and Thianna's POVs were so entertaining to read from, and even though I'm 19 now, I was still able to connect with both of them. It brought me back to my awkward grade school years when I first fell in love with reading. Even though I was never put in a situation like Karn and Thianna were in, I could still identify with the feelings they were experiencing: trying to find themselves in the world and dealing with responsibility that arises when you get older.

Their friendship is also a highlight of this book. It is what every friendship should strive to be. They are both so different from each other, but they accept each other and their differences, and would sacrifice anything for each other.
 
I've also never read anything quite like this book. The story was so unique, and The Norse mythology weaved into it was absolutely fabulous. When I first found out there were frost giants in this book, I immediately thought of this:

But the frost giants in this book were not quite as ruthless as the ones of the Marvel universe. Most of them were kind and hospitable to the humans, and their skin was much less blue.

And there were dragons. Who doesn't love a book with dragons in it?


Overall, FROSTBORN was a unique and fantastic read! I highly recommend it to all ages!

CONTENT: Some minor violence.

No comments:

Post a Comment