Sunday, August 21, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child (Harry Potter #8)by J.K. Rowling: Review


RATING: 3/5 stars!

Author: J.K. Rowling
 Publisher: Arthur A. Levine Books
Source: Bought
Publication date: July 31st, 2016
Find it on Goodreads here!

SUMMARY(from Goodreads):

The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.


While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

REVIEW:

Alas, the first Harry Potter book that has gotten less than 5 stars. I will not lie, I was very disappointed when I found out that this story was going to be a play. I love plays...but I love books more. I tried to go into it with an open mind, and I did not think it was bad; but I was definitely disappointed in many ways. 

I feel like this book would have been better if it was an actual book. The thing I loved the most about the Harry Potter series was getting inside Harry's head; because this book was a play, you totally miss that aspect of the story. It did not feel complete. If I had seen this onstage instead of reading it, I may have felt differently; but when I finished it, I did not feel satisfied. It felt like something was missing, and I think it was all of the characters thoughts. 

I do not want to go into many details so I can avoid spoilers, but there was one twist in the story that I could not wrap my head around. For one, the timeline did not make sense; and second, it seemed extremely out of character. It did not make any sense to me whatsoever. It seemed more like a fan fiction than a story from J.K. Rowling.  

But, even with its faults, I still enjoyed being back in the Harry Potter world. If you are a fan of the series, I suggest you give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment