Saturday, August 27, 2016

Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard: Review


RATING: 4/5 stars!

Author: Victoria Aveyard
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: bought
Publication date: February 10th, 2015
Find it on Goodreads here!

SUMMARY(from Goodreads):

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.

That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.

Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.

But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.

REVIEW:

Going into RED QUEEN, I had heard nothing but amazing things. I always enjoy a good dystopia story, and RED QUEEN definitely delivered. But, like every book, it still had its flaws. Even though I found it enjoyable, there were still some things that I was disappointed in. 

While the concept was extremely original (people separated by the color of their blood? How freaking cool is that!), I found the story line to be somewhat lacking and predictable. It reminded me of so many other YA dystopias; it felt like I had read everything before. Because of this, I could clearly see where the story was going, and it definitely took away from the enjoyment of the novel. 

The book was extremely well written. The writing flowed nicely, and it gave the book a very fast pace. This made up for the predictability of the story. I knew what was going to happen, but because it was written so nicely, I wanted to keep reading. It was definitely the saving grace of the novel. 

Overall, I very much enjoyed RED QUEEN. If you are a fan of dystopia, I suggest you give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment