Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Top Ten Best Beginnings/Endings of Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
 
This week I'm talking about my top 10 beginnings and ending of books! Although there's more like 12. I couldn't limit it to just 10!
 
BEGINNINGS
 
1. In the After by Demitria Lunetta: "I only go out at night." Oh, so creepy.
 
2. Legend by Marie Lu: "My mother thinks I'm dead." Ah, death. It always draws me in to a story.  
 
3. Blood Red Road by Moira Young: The whole prologue. It's just amazing.
 
4. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater: "It is the first day of November and so, today, someone will die." Again, death. I was hooked.  
 
5. Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi: "They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod 'the Death Shop'." More death!
 
6. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo: "The servants called them malenchki, little ghosts, because they were the smallest and the youngest, and because they haunted the Duke's house like giggling phantoms, darting in and out of rooms, hiding in the cupboards to eavesdrop, sneaking into the kitchen to steal the last of the summer peaches." Very long, but as soon as I read this, I was hooked.
 
ENDINGS
 
1. Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger: "Waiting for the wind to return." Such a good closing line to an amazing book.  
 
2. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken: "I turned from the window, and I didn't turn back." OH THE TEARS.
 
3. Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo: "She would rise." THE SUN SUMMONER'S COMING! 
 
4. Asunder by Jodi Meadows: "The Year of Souls had begun." Oh, goodness. That could spell trouble.
 
5. Cinder by Marissa Meyer: "But they would be looking for a ghost." YOU GO CINDER!
 
6. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo: "They are orphans again, with no true home but each other and whatever life they can make together on the other side of the sea." Your books were mentioned three times on this list,  Miss Bardugo. You must be doing something right. 

5 comments:

  1. I never realized it but I kind of completely agree with you, death really is a good way to start a story and draw me in... odd. This must be investigated further.

    Roxy @ Story Envy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good list, I loved Cinder's ending as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - the opening line of Legend is SO good.
    As for the endings you chose, I agree with them ALL. They are all perfection! <3
    Awesome, awesome list you have there! :D<3

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the ending of Cinder, it made my list too, and the opening of Legend has me intrigued! :) My TTT list: http://aliceinreaderland.com/2013/07/29/lines/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, to the beginning of Legend! Great list!

    My TTT:

    http://qaisracetusbookblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete